Riding the Tours in 2021?
Kia Ora and Welcome
We're cyclists just like you. We congratulate you on taking on the Tour Aotearoa and Kopiko Aotearoa - and wish you all the best on an incredible odyssey.
Riding through remote areas such as the Waitomo and Ruapehu areas means that getting the essentials like a cold drink, food or a hot shower can be challenging. So our operators have got together to offer a couple of extras to help your journey.
Please note: Accommodation in the area may be fully booked especially at weekends - so our advice is if you can plan ahead and book in advance then you are more likely to secure a bed. (and happy pedaling).
Daytime Pizza and Refreshments
Timber Trail Lodge : The Heart of Hospitality located right beside the trail, just before the 39km marker.
Special offers for TA-KA riders in 2021: (Offer valid between 10am and 4pm only daily, with the licensed bar open from midday)
- Hot showers $10
- Pizza & Soft drink $18
- On-site, complimentary, self-service bike repair facilities. Small range of bike repair consumables available for purchase.
Looking to stay the night! Book our fantastic accommodation with standard & ensuite room options. Book direct via our website (essential on weekends and public holidays)
Shower, sustenance and a break
The Camp Epic team, just after the 40km mark, are doing their best to support riders. Look out for the Timber Trail Gazebo
- Stop for a shower $5 (best shower in NZ?)
- A shower and a snack plus drink $15
- Pitch your own tent, enjoy the facilities and a basic breakfast. (We'll provide the cereal, eggs and toast for you to prepare) $30
- Enjoy an overnight stay in a fully made up bed including breakfast $60-
- Optional extra - Dinner (something simple and hearty)
Numbers may be limited on Saturday nights. We are already fully booked most Saturday nights and it may get a bit crowded. Book ahead if possible.
At the Southern end of the Trail at Bennett Rd, Epic will have cold drinks, a bike wash and a bike workshop to assist with any mechanical issues.
Ongarue refreshment and support
There is freedom camping at Don Middleton Reserve which has drinking water and flush toilets provided by Ruapehu District Council.
The team at Flashpackers are working towards providing shower facilities and meals for non guests, as well as their self catering accommodation units. Remy also supports the tour with approved post depot for your parcels of supplies if needed. (Check your Tour notes)
A bike wash is also available.
Freshen up with a Shower and a cold drink
If you've made it through the trail and want a nice shower and a cold drink before heading South. Pop in an say Hi! to the team at Timber Trail Shuttles. (around 3kms from Bennett Road campsite)
- Showers $5
- Drinks as appropriate
- Full bike repair station (and onsite qualified bike mechanic during working hours)
- Onsite camping may be available (TBC)
Contribute back to the Trail
We look forward to hosting you on the trail. There are a couple of things that you can do to support the trail and help us develop and maintain our Great Ride.
- Take 10 minutes and complete the trail survey letting us know what was great and what we need to work on (and maybe win some great prizes for your efforts too).
- Donate to the Friends of the Timber Trail who are working on a range of enhancements to make the journey even more spectacular.